Brian's Late Summer 2007 Update
Recording Studio in Colorado, Summer 2007
Late-Summer 2007 Update
Hi, friends ...
I'm a happy guy. Here are some reasons why.
1. In July I spent a week in the Colorado Rockies, working with some wonderful musicians to record a collection of songs that I've written or co-written to accompany my upcoming book, Everything Must Change: Jesus, Global Crises, and a Revolution of Hope. Like the book, the songs will be available this fall via CD and MP3 download at Restorationvillage.com - where you can pre-order now. You can listen to one of the songs entitled I am an atheist.
I wrote an article a few years ago called An An Open Letter to Worship Songwriters which received a lot of positive attention and has been translated into several languages. This collection of songs is a small offering in the direction of the issues raised in the open letter. A lot of people only know me as a pastor, author, and speaker, so they may be surprised to know that music has always been a big part of my life. I did some recording back in the late 70's and early 80's ... it was a real thrill to return to these creative roots after 30 years this summer.
2. I'm also really thrilled that we've launched our email newsletter (sign up here if you haven't already!) and word is getting out about the new book and the Everything Must Change Tour, which will take some friends and me to eleven cities between February and May. I hope to meet many of you on the tour. And I hope you'll register - how about now?
3. I also hope to meet many of you when I visit some bookstores the first half of October in conjunction with the book release on October 2. In addition, between now and year's end, I'll be speaking in Texas, South Carolina, Kansas City, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Houston, and Germany - please check out the schedule and come say hi.
4. I've been posting some short readings from Everything Must Change, and I'll post a few more between now and the book's release. It's been fun to put these together and they're getting good response. Of course, I'm a rank amateur at imovie, but for more professional videos that I've been involved with, see The Work of the People where you can watch them in streaming video.
5. I feel so blessed to have such tremendous friends, readers, and other colleagues in the adventure of faith, love, and justice to which we've been called.
6. This summer has been the best pace of life I've enjoyed for a few years. Grace and I have had a lot of time to sit and drink coffee together, catch some movies, hang out with our adult kids and my parents, and take a couple road trips. I hope you're getting some time to enjoy God's beautiful world in its late summertime splendor. Don't spend all your time online, OK? Get out and enjoy the warmth and sunshine and water and trees and fresh food and picnics and parties of summer ... gifts of God for us all. Soon the leaves will be changing, and God will shower us with new surprises.
Looking forward to a great fall with you.
Plotting hope -